Job opportunity: Illicit Economy Prevention Practitioner - HMP Lowdham Grange - (12 months Initially)
Remedi are recruiting an Illicit Economy Prevention Practitioner. The role will be 35 hours per week and will be located within the Cat B Male prison HMP Lowdham Grange. You will be working as part of a multi-disciplinary team involving Safer Custody and teams within the Establishment. The role will be challenging and exciting as you will be working in a demanding environment, providing an opportunity to empower change giving the successful candidate an excellent chance to work with offenders and supporting staff in a prison environment on a daily basis.
The prevention workers primary aims are to identify prisoners who may be at risk/vulnerable to becoming involved in the Illicit Economy and support them to create strategies to minimize the risks and provide relevant support at the earliest opportunity.
This work has 4 main strands:
- An initial Needs Assessment with every new prisoner who transfers into HMP Lowdham Grange to assess vulnerabilities, risk and potential areas of need to determine appropriate support pathways.
- The recruitment, training and co-ordination of community peer mentors.
- Development, supervision and quality assurance of interventions provided by community peer mentors
- The delivery of Remedi Restorative programmes and mentoring interventions
To do this you will need to have certain skills and qualities:
- An understanding within a Custodial environment of the issues that may lead to offender involvement in illicit economy activities and the harm this can cause to victims, perpetrators, the wider population and staff – through qualifications, training and/or experience
- An understanding of the factors and theories that underpin any use of Violence that may follow from the above point – through qualifications, training and/or experience.
- Good communication and listening skills, experience of working with offenders, assertiveness, patient, calm but confident, resilient, open minded, motivated, takes pride in their work and achievements, reflective in their work, keen to learn and develop, adaptive to changes in their role, non-judgmental.
- Being able to work on your own initiative but also being a team player by building positive relationships and communicating with staff and management in various areas of the prison.
- Working restoratively with both prisoners and staff – As expected of all Remedi staff.
- Being organized and able to manage a case load effectively.
- Aware and always adhering to prison rules, security policies, PSO’s and PSI’s.
- Flexibility in working and prepared to adapt to changes within the role.
- IT capable – we expect the practitioner to be capable and competent in word, excel and using an electronic calendar. There will also be prison IT systems that will need input as part of the role
- Adherence to data protection, GDPR and confidentiality at all times
Location: HMP Lowdham Grange - Nottinghamshire
Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: £20,280 p.a. plus 6% pension contribution
Please return completed application forms electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application can be downloaded from http://www.remediuk.org/careers-staff-vacancies/
Hard copies of completed applications can be sent to:
33 Rockingham Lane,
Closing date for receipt of completed applications: 12 noon 24th January 2020.